Find out more about Graphic Design Software
What is Graphic Design Software?
Graphic design software and image editing tools are utilized by graphic designers to create and organize their work. Examples of graphic design software include design-based tools such as Freehand and Adobe Illustrator and layout tools such as Adobe InDesign and Quark Xpress. Many graphic designers also use photo-editing programs such as Adobe Photoshop. In addition, graphic designers who do web-based design can utilize tools such as Adobe Flash to take their designs to the internet by utilizing simple HTML language. Start by checking our leader Adobe Illustrator CC, and other recommended solutions in this category.
Most Popular Graphic Design Software
Best Graphic Design Software
How To Choose The Best Graphic Design Software
Graphic design software is utilized by graphic designers to create attractive images and designs. There are numerous high-quality solutions in this category. This begs the question how do you select the best graphic design software product for your specific needs? We help you with this buyer’s guide which details the key features and factors you should consider in your search.
Get to know each product with free trial
A wonderful way to start your quest for the best graphic design software is to find out if popular tools offer a handy free trial. You can visit the websites of the following top platforms to check the possibility of benefiting from a free trial: CorelDRAW Home & Student Suite, Serif Affinity Designer, Corel PaintShop Pro, Adobe Photoshop Elements, and Xara.
- Freelance graphic designers can utilize this type of software for their individual needs.
- Graphic design agencies can use these tools to create attractive designs for their clients.
Examples of Graphic Design Software
- CorelDRAW Home & Student Suite: Graphic design software for students, hobbyists, and beginners. You can use it to create social media content, photo projects, newsletters, logos, and more. The product includes useful learning resources. You can install up to 3 copies in your household (this tool is not for commercial use).
- Serif Affinity Designer: Touted as a complete graphic design product. It is a fast, smooth, and precise vector graphic design tool. All its functions, panels, tools, and features have been designed for the requirements of creative professionals. You can use it to exercise precise control over curves, colors, and performance to create stunning results.
- Corel PaintShop Pro: Affordable graphic design and photo editing software. You can create attractive designs using textures, patterns, gradients, brushes, and new color palettes. Make use of the simple user interface for fast navigation. The product includes improvements to popularly used tools and new workspaces for your expertise level.
- Adobe Photoshop Elements: Organize your images and improve them with smart photo editing tools. Convert them into striking creations and share your memories. Auto-organize by places, people, subject, and date. In addition, you can auto-curate your best photos based on subjects, faces, quality, and more.
- Xara: Optimize your photos with detailed retouching. Combine text with images and graphics to create appealing social media posts, posters, and invitations. Experiment with filters, plug-ins, and creative design effects. You can even create your own illustrations and vector graphics from scratch. Finally, the application offers a vast collection of stock photos among which you can easily find the right image.
Types of Graphic Design Software
- Word processors. Besides text, modern word processors also include graphics tools allowing you to combine text and graphics to create attractive postcards, flyers, booklets, and brochures.
- Publishing software. Also known as desktop publishing software. They also combine text and graphics but are more advanced. These tools enable you to precisely control image editing functions, kerning, leading, and graphics and text placement. Sophisticated publishing software tools enable you to handle layouts for magazines, books, and other publications.
- Illustration software. Include text manipulation and word processing features. They allow you to adjust line spacing and kerning, and check grammar and spelling. You can use illustration software for page layout on small projects such as small booklets, letterheads, business cards, brochures, greeting cards, and postcards.
- Creative printing software. This tool has become popular as inkjet printers have become cheaper to buy. You can use it to create crafts such as t-shirt designs, posters, signs, business cards, postcards, and greeting cards.
- Presentation software. You can use it to create slideshows, overhead transparencies, reports, and on-screen presentations.
- Web publishing software. All the above types of software allow you to publish your designs on the internet. Low-end software offer basics like simple web page creation tools, enable you to create animated greetings, and send your files through email. Advanced software offer sophisticated web publishing features for exporting to PDF or HTML. In addition, there are numerous dedicated web publishing platforms.
Key Features of Graphic Design Software
- Colors. Use colors to attract the attention of the viewer and create striking signage and ads.
- Shapes. Enhance the visual effect of your project by manipulating or exaggerating shapes to create a stunning image.
- Lines. Organize the graphics and text, divide an image, and create boxes to highlight text within graphics.
- Mass. Create the optimum amount of contrast to attract the viewer’s interest. This enhances the overall impact of the image.
- Textures. They can add dimension and depth to graphics. Textures are utilized in website design to include background contrast in web pages. They can create an in-depth, layered effect for ads and websites.
Benefits of Graphic Design Software
- Enhances employee pride. You can use graphic design software to create a strong brand identity that reflects your organization’s vision in all things including staff apparel, business cards, and company communications and websites.
- Helps to save time. Graphic designers can save time by easily identifying the best file format to use for your business cards, website images and photos, and more.
- Helps to save money. Poorly designed graphics can prove to be costly for your company. So, do not hesitate to pay for a good graphic design software program to produce high-quality output and save money in the long run.
- Improves viewer interaction. Graphic design software enables you to create stunning visuals that can help to increase your organization’s social media views, followers, and shares. You can include appealing visuals in your printed materials, social media posts, blogs, websites, and e-newsletters to grab and engage readers’ attention.
- Differentiate yourself. Create a unique identity that gets attention, differentiates your products and services, and ensures your followers keep coming back for fresh content.
- Bolster your brand. Strong companies and brands have highly recognizable typefaces, color schemes, and logos. Use graphic design software to create an easily identifiable face for your company and brand that helps you to differentiate yourself from the competition.
- Brighter and louder colors. The era of muted and safe colors is over. Now, companies are experimenting with bold colors combined with professionally edited images to create stunning in-your-face designs. Check out the work of the music experts at Spotify to understand what we are talking about.
- Bold typography. Another notable trend is the use of bold typography to attract reader attention and fight content saturation. Daring and big fonts are being used to grab eyeballs. For example, Wired magazine uses a bold mix of fonts to place emphasis on individual titles and important info on the page.
- Adapting to new technology. It is a challenge for graphic designers to anticipate changes in software and technology, adapt to and master them, and at the same time be open to fresh influences that can help to improve their work.
- The need to be multi-skilled. Graphic designers need more than just expertise in typography and design to excel in their field. They also require conceptual thinking and execution skills, and expertise in a range of areas such as interaction design, motion graphics, and more. Plus, they should develop the ability to effectively utilize the latest technology and software to improve their output.
List of Graphic Design Software Companies
Page last modified
Our Score Read More
Our platform employs our unique SmartScore™ algorithm to examine all the services in the Graphic Design Software category to help you pick the best possible application. It compares and contrasts the following elements: essential functionalities, collaboration elements, customization, integration, user friendliness, customer support, how secure a software is, support for smartphones and tablets, scores in other media. As of now, Adobe Illustrator CC is the leader in this category and we gave it the highest score in our tests. After detailed research and analysis it got the best results among its competitors and our reviewers strongly suggest that you consider it as one of the solutions for your needs.
User Satisfaction Read More
A summary of total user satisfaction with the services in our Graphic Design Software category based on our unique algorythm that analyzes customer reviews, comments and opinions across a broad range of social media sites in order to help you make an informed purchase decision.
Pricing Read More
Every vendor in the Graphic Design Software category will have a different set of pricing packages for its app and each package will include a unique group of elements. Below we list the overal pricing for the cheapest plan offered for each app. Keep in mind that advanced features may cost extra.
Devices Supported Read More
An overview of what type of devices and operating systems are supported by these B2B tools in the Graphic Design Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Learn which languages and geographies are supported by the popular B2B apps in the Graphic Design Software category, including services designed for international markets and prepared for multi-cultural groups of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Learn what pricing packages are offered by the vendors in the Graphic Design Software category to check which one suits your business preferences and expenses best. Note that certain solutions can provide free or freemium accounts for you to try out first.
Customer Types Read More
An overview of what groups of customers a specific B2B solution in the Graphic Design Software category aims for, from small businesses and non-profits to large enterprises.
Deployment Read More
A summary of what kinds of service deployement are supported by each B2B vendor in the Graphic Design Software category. While the majority of modern SaaS solutions are cloud-hosted some services may offer an on-site deployment model too.